Data Science and Modelling Specialist
Opti-Num Solutions is looking for a motivated, creative and technical person to join our consulting team. Successful applicants will work both independently and in a small, focussed team of highly skilled, motivated and passionate individuals.
This position specialises in partnering with your colleagues and our clients to solve problems with the application of data science. Consultants acting in this role will typically work directly with clients to understand and define the problem and develop machine learning and statistical models to solve it. You will work with team members to develop visualisations and reports that communicate recommendations and actionable insights that result from the developed models.
You will work on both short- and long-term projects (likely simultaneously) with clients from a range of industries such as telecommunications, finance, housing, insurance, banking, engineering, marketing and retail. The nature of the work would normally require that you are primarily based at our offices in Johannesburg or at our client’s premises, however given the current lockdown circumstances you will be required to “work from home” primarily. International travel in support clients in Africa may be necessary a few times a year.
- Working with colleagues and clients to explore and define requirements.
- Researching and developing analyses, models and reports supporting a variety of client requirements.
- Presenting models, insights and recommendations in person or via video conferencing and telecommunication systems.
- Building relationships with our clients in support of growing our contracts with them and meeting their needs.
- Mentoring other consultants and advising your colleagues on appropriate methodology and techniques for developing models, frameworks and performing analysis for project work.
- Reviewing approaches and models implemented by other consultants as part of active projects and providing constructive feedback to improve the application of data science and modelling for addressing the business requirements.
- Keep up to date with the latest data science trends and techniques and apply these techniques where it is warranted.
- Contributing to development of best-practices related to the application of data science and modelling at the company
You should have the following qualifications and experience:
- A master’s or higher degree with a strong background in mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics or engineering with a focus on machine learning.
- Must have an advanced understanding of machine learning techniques and how to apply them to real world data effectively.
- Must be able to use statistical and mathematical models and/or machine learning to draw insights from data.
- 2 – 4 years of experience working in a similar role or demonstrate that you would be able to fulfil the requirements.
- 2+ years of programming experience in MATLAB / Python / R / C++ / Java or a similar language.
- Strong knowledge of and a passion for artificial intelligence, machine learning, predictive modelling, data analytics, data visualization and data interpretation.
- The ability to extract and communicate data insights is essential.
- The ability to think creatively and solve new problems with limited resources is critical for success.
- Self-driven with the ability to take initiative and make things happen.
- The ability to see the “big picture” and translate it into practical actions by diving into the technical work to achieve the client’s goals.
- The flexibility to work in a team and independently.
- Strong communication skills and the confidence and ability to present effectively across different levels of seniority.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to see issues from different perspectives.
- The ability to communicate with people from different technical domains (IT, engineering, finance) as well as marketing specialists and business managers.
- An interest in a wide range of potential applications for machine learning such as business, marketing, consumer behaviour, controllers, finance, etc.
- High attention to detail.
- The ability to perform under pressure.
- An understanding of software engineering concepts is beneficial.
You are required to travel to and from clients’ offices for meetings and on-site work for both short- and long-term projects (however you will be primarily based at our offices in Johannesburg). Long distance travel to local or international locations may be required periodically.
Ability to work constructively with varied individuals and help them to solve their problems. This requires:
- Acting as a team player
- Effective communication, providing constructive feedback
- Problem-solving and resourcefulness
- Accepting feedback
- Creative thinking
- Complex Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Coordinating with Others
- Emotional Intelligence
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Service Orientation
- Cognitive Flexibility
Apply for this Position
To apply for this position, complete our online application form. You will need your CV and/or other supporting documentation in PDF or DOCX format.