Opti-Num Solutions is looking for a motivated, creative and technical person to join our consulting team. Successful applicants will work both independently and in a small, focussed team of highly skilled, motivated and passionate individuals.
Software development is the corner stone of the Consulting Services offered by Opti-Num Solutions. This position is ideally suited to individuals who enjoy problem solving and coding in a wide variety of domains and industries. It is required that the Consultant apply software engineering best practices for specification, design, implementation and testing of functionality they develop. Applications that may be developed can include:
- Data analytics and reporting applications
- Strategic business algorithms
- Engineering algorithms
- Graphical user interfaces
- Functional and unit test suites
The language of choice will be primarily MATLAB or Simulink, however other languages such as Python, R, .NET, C++, Java or Scala could be leveraged where appropriate. Projects will often be purely of a software engineering nature or may require specific domain knowledge for successful implementation. This domain knowledge may be obtained via interaction with your colleagues, our clients in that industry, or through independent investigation and research by the Consultant themselves (for example projects may involve aspects of database integration, modelling of mechanical, electrical, chemical processes, computational finance, machine learning, numerical optimisation, image processing, signal processing, business intelligence, forecasting and many other areas).
As a Consultant, you are required to engage directly with our clients to synthesize requirements and collaboratively implement the required project functionality. As such you may be located on-site at our clients for both short- and long-term projects, however you will be primarily based at our offices in Johannesburg. International travel in support of clients in Africa may be periodically necessary. You will also be responsible for handing over the project functionality to clients and empowering them to use the delivered applications successfully.
- A graduate qualification in Engineering, Computer Science or another degree that majors in Mathematics, Statistics or Data Science and a passion for coding.
- 1 – 2 years of experience working in a similar role, or demonstrate that you would be able to fulfil the requirements.
- 2+ years of programming experience in MATLAB / Python / R / C++ / Java or a similar language.
- Strong knowledge of software engineering best practices and Object-Oriented Programming.
- The ability to think creatively and solve new problems with limited resources is critical for success.
- Self-driven with the ability to take initiative and “make things happen”.
- The ability to see the “big picture” and translate it into practical actions by diving into the technical work to achieve the client’s goals.
- The flexibility to work in a team and independently.
- Strong communication skills and the confidence and ability to present effectively across different levels of seniority.
- The ability to communicate with people from different technical domains (IT, engineering, finance) as well as marketing specialists and business managers.
- The ability to see and communicate issues from these different domain’s perspectives is vital for making progress in this role.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- The ability to perform under pressure
Apply for this Position
To apply for this position, complete our online application form. You will need your CV and/or other supporting documentation in PDF or DOCX format. Please reference CONS_SW in your application.