Opti-Num Solutions is looking for a motivated, creative and technical person to join our consulting team. Successful applicants will work both independently and in a small, focussed team of highly skilled, motivated and passionate individuals.
This position specialises in partnering with our clients to solve problems with the application of custom Artificial Intelligence solutions. Consultants acting in this role will typically work directly with clients to understand and define the problem, and develop machine learning and statistical models to solve it. Consultants acting in this role will work with team members to develop visualisations and reports that communicate recommendations and actionable insights that result from the developed models.
You will work on both short and long term projects with clients from a range of industries such as telecommunications, finance, insurance, banking, engineering, marketing and retail. The nature of the work requires that you are primarily based at our offices in Johannesburg or at our client’s premises, however international travel in support clients in Africa may be necessary a few times a year.
- Working with our clients to explore and define their requirements.
- Researching and coding or manually implementing analyses, models and reports supporting a variety of client requirements.
- Presenting models, insights and recommendations via video conferencing and telecommunication or in person.
- Building relationships with our clients in support of growing our contracts with them and meeting their needs.
You should have the following qualifications and experience:
- A master’s degree with a strong background in mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics or engineering.
- Must have an advance understanding of machine learning techniques and how to apply them to real world data effectively.
- Must be able to use statistical and mathematical models and/or machine learning to draw insights from data.
- 1 – 2 years of experience working in a similar role, or demonstrate that you would be able to fulfil the requirements.
- 2+ years of programming experience in MATLAB / Python / R / C++ / Java or a similar language.
- Strong knowledge of and a passion for artificial intelligence, machine learning, predictive modelling, data analytics, data visualization and data interpretation.
- The ability to extract and communicate data insights is essential.
- The ability to think creatively and solve new problems with limited resources is critical for success.
- Self-driven with the ability to take initiative and make things happen.
- The ability to see the “big picture” and translate it into practical actions by diving into the technical work to achieve the client’s goals.
- The flexibility to work in a team and independently.
- Strong communication skills and the confidence and ability to present effectively across different levels of seniority.
- The ability to communicate with people from different technical domains (IT, engineering, finance) as well as marketing specialists and business managers.
- The ability to see and communicate issues from these different domain’s perspectives is vital for making progress in this role.
- An interest in a wide range of potential applications for machine learning such as business, digital marketing, consumer behaviour, controllers, finance, etc.
- High attention to detail.
- The ability to perform under pressure.
- An understanding of software engineering concepts is beneficial.
- MATLAB / Python / R / C++ / Java– Advanced
- SQL– Basic
- Excel– Basic
- PowerPoint– Basic
- Word– Basic
Apply for this Position
To apply for this position, complete our online application form. You will need your CV and/or other supporting documentation in PDF or DOCX format. Please reference 2019/CONS_AI1 in your application.