Opti-Num Solutions is looking for a motivated, creative and technical person to join our consulting team. Successful applicants will work both independently and in a small, focused team of highly skilled, motivated and passionate individuals.
Business intelligence (BI) is the transformation of raw data into meaningful and useful information for business optimisation purposes. This position specialises in partnering with our clients to provide business intelligence in the form of visualisations, recommendations, reporting and actionable insights via the implementation of algorithms and data analytics in MATLAB.
Opti-Num Solutions needs an outgoing, sharp, driven person to provide services for our Data Analytics projects in general and specifically for an existing client in the telecommunications industry.
You will work directly with our clients and your Opti-Num team members in both short and long term projects. The nature of the work requires that you are primarily based at our offices in Johannesburg or at our client’s premises in Johannesburg, however international travel in support clients in Africa will be necessary a few times a year.
- Working with our clients to explore and define their requirements.
- Researching and coding or manually implementing reports, analyses and models supporting a variety of business intelligence requirements.
- Presenting insights and recommendations on a biweekly basis via video conferencing and telecommunication or in person.
- The operational support of applications and services currently provided to the client.
- Building relationships with our clients in support of growing our contracts with them and meeting their needs.
- A graduate qualification in Engineering or another degree that majors in Mathematics, Statistics or Data Science.
- 1 – 2 years of experience working in a similar role, or demonstrate that you would be able to fulfill the requirements.
- 2+ years of programming experience in MATLAB / Python / R / C++ / Java or a similar language.
- Strong knowledge of and a passion for data analytics, data visualisation, data interpretation, predictive modelling and machine learning.
- The ability to extract and communicate data insights is essential.
- The ability to think creatively and solve new problems with limited resources is critical for success.
- Self-driven with the ability to take initiative and make things happen.
- The ability to see the “big picture” and translate it into practical actions by diving into the technical work to achieve the client’s goals.
- The flexibility to work in a team and independently.
- Strong communication skills and the confidence and ability to present effectively across different levels of seniority.
- The ability to communicate with people from different technical domains (IT, engineering, finance) as well as marketing specialists and business managers.
- The ability to see and communicate issues from these different domain’s perspectives is vital for making progress in this role.
- A strong interest in business in general including marketing, consumer behaviour, price elasticity, customer churn, etc.
- High attention to detail.
- The ability to perform under pressure
- An understanding of software engineering concepts is beneficial.
- MATLAB – Advanced
- SQL – Basic
- Excel – Advanced
- PowerPoint – Basic
- Word – Basic
If not proficient in MATLAB, you must have skills and experience in Python / R / C++ / Java or a similar language and be able to learn MATLAB quickly.
Apply for this Position
To apply for this position, complete our online application form. You will need your CV and/or other supporting documentation in PDF or DOCX format.